ROWVA CEEB Code 143-305 (If needed for applications or financial aid documents)
FAFSA website www.fafsa.ed.gov
Seniors planning to attend college next fall need to take the following steps:
Most important thing....watch for DEADLINES! Schools and scholarship agencies are strict with their deadlines.
1) Decide where to start....2 year junior college, trade school, 4 year school
2) If choosing a 2-year school, Carl Sandburg College and Blackhawk College East are local options. Otherwise, choosing to attend a 2-year school other than CSC may result in out-of-district cost. If beginning at CSC, do you want a two year degree to get a job right away (Associate in Applied Science), or do you want to transfer to a 4-year school after attending CSC (Associate in Arts/Science Degree)? First, complete online CSC application at www.sandburg.edu. Next, schedule to take the placement exam at CSC. Finally, have a transcript and ACT/SAT scores sent to CSC. Once this is complete, you will complete the FAFSA in October for student aid. You will register for the summer or fall CSC classes in April.
Allied Health programs (i.e. Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Rad Tech, Paramedic, Massage Therapy, Mortuary Science) at CSC have a different set of admission guidelines. You need to make an appointment with a counselor at CSC beginning Oct. 1st and complete all of the necessary application materials by Feb. 15th. Student Services at CSC: # 309-344-2518.
If choosing a 4-year school directly out of high school, narrow your schools to 3 or 4 choices based on your values and career goals. Meet with your counselor if you are unsure. List all of the schools of interest. Make sure that you meet their admission's criteria. Complete an online application for each school before their priority filing deadline, usually around November 1. Notify your counselor to send a transcript and ACT/SAT scores as soon as your application is complete.
3) Complete your FAFSA form online beginning October 1, 2019. (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov) . Register at www.isac.org/collegeqa to have access to a text messaging service that will update you on important financial aid dates. You can also text your specific admissions and financial aid questions using this to get immediate feedback to your questions.
4) Review your financial aid packages from each school where you have applied. Continue to apply for additional scholarships. Compare financial aid packages across schools.
5) Decide on a school by May 1st, 2020 and submit your deposit.
6)Register for classes and housing once you have been notified by the college to do so.
Websites to check out: CampusReel.org